If you want to join metal sheets, roofing panels, or other materials quickly and easily for a fair price, you might want to think about using tek screw.
Tek screws, also called self-drilling screws, are a type of multipurpose fastener that can drill their own pilot holes as you put them in.
Tek screws are great for screwing through materials without pre-drilling, which saves you time and effort. The price ranges from ₱92 to ₱2,500 per box.
In this article, we’ll explain what tek screws are, how to use them, and what the price list for tek screws is in the Philippines.
What is Tek Screw?
There are different kinds of Tek screws that are used for different things and purposes. So you should choose the right type for your material and project.
As you use them, all tek screws drill their own holes because of their heads. The shape of their heads (flat, hex, pan, oval, truss, or wafer) affects how they sit on the surface of the material.
Some have washers or serrations to make them seal better or be easier to hold.
Tek screws also come with different types of points (#1, #2, #3, #4, or #5) that show how thick and hard the material is that they can go through.
For example, a #1 point can drill through 0.15 inches of metal, while a #5 point can drill through 0.5 inches of metal.
Uses of Tek Screw
Tek screws can be used for many different things, such as:
- Installing roofing panels.
- Putting siding panels together.
- Securing the ducts.
- Putting electrical boxes in place.
- Connecting steel studs.
- Putting hardware on metal surfaces, like hinges, brackets, or clips.
- Putting metal and wood together.
- Putting together boards made of plastic, fiberglass, or composite materials (following the manufacturer’s instructions).
Type of Tek Screw
There are different kinds of tek screws, and each has its own benefits and uses. Here are some well-known ones:
Hex washer head
This type of tek screw has a hexagonal head with a washer that provides better sealing and prevents overdriving. It is suitable for roofing and cladding applications.
This type of tek screw has a flat top and a cylindrical shape. It is suitable for general purpose applications where a low-profile head is not required.
This type of tek screw has a countersunk head that installs flush with the surface of the material. It is suitable for applications where a smooth finish is desired.
This type of tek screw has a countersunk head with a slightly curved top. It is suitable for applications where a decorative finish is desired.
This type of tek screw has a large-diameter head with a low profile. It is suitable for applications where a large bearing surface is required.
This type of tek screw has a thin head with a flat top and a small diameter. It is suitable for applications where a low-profile head is required and where minimal indentation is desired.
Materials of Tek Screw
Carbon steel and stainless steel are the two main kinds of Tek screws.
- Carbon steel tek screws are cheaper and easier to find, but when exposed to water or chemicals, they can rust and break down.
- Tek screws made of stainless steel don’t rust or corrode as easily, but they are more expensive and harder to find.
Tek Screw Sizes
There is a wide range of sizes available for Tek screws. #8 x 0.75 inches (or 4.2 x 19 mm) is the smallest size available.
The largest size of Tek screw available is a #14 x 5″, which is equivalent to 6.3 x 127 mm.
Tek Screw Price List
The price of tek screws depends on various factors, such as the type, size, material, quantity, and quality of the screws.
The price also varies depending on the supplier, location, and market conditions.
Therefore, it is difficult to give a definitive price list for tek screw. However, to give you an idea, here are some average prices of tek screws in the Philippines
|TGC Galvanized Wafer Head Tek Screw||3.5 x 12.7mm||100||₱92|
|Hex Tek Screw||12 x 65mm||100||₱215|
|12 x 75mm||₱294|
|Stainless Flat Tek Screw||#6 x 1”||50||₱204|
|#8 x 1”||₱252|
|#10 x 2”||₱439|
|Stainless Pan Tek Screw||#6 x 1”||50||₱215|
|#8 x 1”||₱270|
|#10 x 2”||₱477|
|Heavy Duty Tek Screw||12 x 55mm||100||₱2,280|
|12 x 65mm||₱2,500|
How to Use Tek Screw
Here are some tips on how to use tek screws:
- Choose the right type, size, material, and point type of tek screw for your application.
- Use a high-speed impact driver or drill with a suitable bit or socket for the screw head.
- Align the screw with the hole or mark where you want to insert it.
- Apply steady pressure and drive the screw into the material until the head is flush or slightly below the surface.
- Do not overdrive or underdrive the screw, as this may damage the material or reduce the holding power of the screw.
- Check the tightness and alignment of the screw and make adjustments if necessary.
Things You Should Know About Tek Screw
Here are some things you should know about tek screws:
- Do Tek screws rust?
Yes, tek screws made of carbon steel can rust if they get wet or come in contact with chemicals. Use stainless steel tek screws or a protective coating to stop rust.
- Are Tek screws strong?
Yes, tek screws are strong enough to hold together sheets of metal or roof panels. The strength depends on the size, material, type of point, and how it was put together.
- Can Tek screws be used in steel?
Yes, you can use tek screws in steel. Choose the right type of point for how thick the steel is that you want to drill through.
- Can you reuse Tek screws?
Yes, you can use tek screws more than once if they are not broken. If you reuse screws, they might not hold as well, so for important tasks, you might want to buy new ones.
- How thick steel can Tek screws be used for?
How thick steel is depends on what kind of point it is. Different types of points let you drill through different thicknesses of steel.
We hope this article has given you some useful information about tek screw price in Philippines and other aspects of this fastener.
If you have any questions or comments about this topic, feel free to contact us or leave a comment below.[ratings]